I'm back in work mode. I'm pretty sure I didn't work any overtime this summer since MAY!! I think... except for ECMO* call. Which shaves YEARS off my life. & we did, I mean ARE, doing a LOT of ECMO this summer. .....Did I mention we've had A LOT of ECMO patients this summer? hm. Somehow, my ECMO bossman failed to stress to me just exactly how stressful being a primer would be when he asked me to take the job. I really feel the years being stolen away from me when I get called in to put this 'wonderful' machine together for a patient that is on death's door (& by wonderful, I mean a B.E.A.S.T. of a machine). I guess I should admit, though, that I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie at work and I work better under stress and pressure. HOWEVER. the stress that ECMO brings is beyond what I could've imagined. Thank you, bossman, thank you very much.
But, anyways, yes, I'm back into my work hard, play hard when-the-opportunity-might-present-itself mode. & speaking of work, I'm now working DAY shift so I can attempt semi-normalcy in my life. I don't think I realized how wrong it is to work 7pm-7:30am for 3-7 days a week. Again, WTH was I thinking??? I'll no longer have to endure emails from my dear brother with news clips on how research shows that working the graveyard leads to a higher incidence in cancer. & lectures from family & friends on how UNHEALTHY it is to work when everyone else is asleep. *aaaaah*** the relief!
*ECMO= extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. A means for a last ditch effort to save a life, it assumes the patient's heart and lung functions (working as a *bypass machine*) to give time for the patient to recover.
today, I'm thankful for... NOT. being. on. call.
Saturday, September 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

jess!!!! hey girl. i totally get your whole ecmo thing (kinda like that case i had with your baby today heheh). glad you joined the blogging world! welcome to the club
ReplyDeleteegh' em....
ReplyDelete"I'm a BIT of an adrenaline junkie at work."
I think you could take "bit" out of that sentence. hahah. Anyways, I'm so happy you're on day shift with me now! There's nothing like carpooling to work together, eating breakfast and lunch together, and abusing you to do all my work for me! hahahahah!
hahaha! yes master... someday, i'm gonna make you do all my work for me too! muahahah.
ReplyDelete